Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Gong Xi Fa Chai!

Happy Chinese New Year to all who celebrate!

The deal with my doctor of going home whenever i get bored didn't work out. Another doctor came on FT day and changed my medications. The new medications take a long time to finish in total, so I couldn't go home till today. The plan now is to stay in the hospital at night, get the medication IV-ed while i'm sleeping, and go home after the doctors' rounds. I will have to come back to the hospital to get the next round of medication. I plan to do this everyday for as long as i can. Dad says I should try to minimize my stay in the hospital to avoid catching other bugs (I totally agree!!)

My condition (lung infection) has improved since the last time i wrote. The fluid has completely disappeared. For those interested, I'm now on Linezolid, Abelcet, Ciprobay and Voriconazole. I'm being treated on an empirical basis, since every single thing that was sent for culture has come back negative (blood, tissues, etc.)

Last wednesday, i went for a CT Scan (lung & abdomen). The results showed that some of the lesions in my lung has disappeared, but a couple new ones appeared. The lesion in my spleen has enlarged. To give the doctors something to work on (since they don't know what kind of bug is infecting me), I agreed to have a lung biopsy. Was quite nervous before the procedure. The radiologist constantly warned me not to move while the needle is in my lung. He said even if the needle moved a few millimeters, he would have to do it over again. At one point, blood went up into my mouth. I didn't dare tell them, neither could i open my mouth to let the blood come out. In my dilemma, I just decided to swallow the blood back. It was disgusting, but i'd rather swallow blood than have the radiologist poke my lung again. I was stiff as a statue the whole time, in the end they said that I did a really awesome job during the whole procedure. This was done in another hospital. After the whole thing, I got to go back to my hospital in an ambulance. My first ride in an ambulance! Quite cool...(yes i memang jakun)

The results from the lung biopsy came back negative, they didn't grow anything. So we're now basically back to square one. Now they've decided to biopsy my spleen. Aaaaaaarggghhh...why not just biopsy my spleen in the first place!!!??? And I don't know if it will make any difference. Oh well. As everybody tells me, sabar je lah....

Ok lah...better go eat. Have to go back to the hospital in a couple of hours.

Ciao my friends!

GONG XI FA CHAI!!!