Monday, May 02, 2011

Antwerp, and Bruges Part 1

I left Amsterdam late yesterday morning and took a 2 hour train to Antwerp. I immediately didn't like the place, I don't know why. I checked into my hotel, Hotel Rubenshof, about 2.5 km away from the city centre. The hotel was great, very clean and had high speed Internet (very important to me hehe).

As soon as I put my stuff down, my brother called me to check my whereabouts. Turns out they decided to drive from their friend's house in Lommel to Antwerp, so yay! I met up with them, spent a few hours walking around until it was time for them to get back to Lommel. I went back to the hotel after that, but I couldn't still so I went back out. It was already night time, and there didn't seem to be anyone around in my part of the city, so I decided to take the tram to the station. There were people, but I didn't feel safe, so after wandering about for a half hour, I decided to head back to my hotel.





pics above are the interior of Antwerp Central Station. Grand, eh?

Since I didn't do much yesterday, I thought i'd wake up earlier today and take a couple of hours walking around the city. After 30 minutes of walking with my gps seeming to lie to me at every corner, I thought, screw it, I'm just going to go take the train to Bruges as soon as possible.

So that was my time in Antwerp. Maybe I ought to give it more time, but I am just too lazy today.

So I'm now in Bruges. Spent the day with my brother, took a horse carriage ride, climbed the 366 steps clock tower, ate some delicious waffles and ogled at the numerous chocolate shops. They went back to London around 4.30pm, I went back to the train station to get my luggage and checked into my hostel, the Lybeers Travellers Hostel. (I also managed to lose my locker ticket and had to pay a €12.50 penalty to have them open the locker hehe)

I went back out and wandered the streets until I got tired, had a whole pizza to myself and now i'm up in my room typing this out. Bruges is so darn pretty, I decided to skip the last night in Brussels and stay here instead.

Pictures below are taken in Bruges (first the view from the clock tower, second picture taken at one of the canals)





Location:Antwerp, Bruges