Saturday, February 21, 2004

Spaying your pets...the humane thing to do?

I went to DBKL-SPCA in Setapak today, to spay my two other cats, Cookie and Alf. DBKL-SPCA really gives a good deal, I think. With the spaying, I also got a couple of cans of Science Diet A/D for cats after surgery, some antibiotics and multivitamins. All for RM65.00 per cat. Better than being charged between RM120-RM250 at a private clinic, and only getting some lame antibiotic pills as an after treatment...huh!!

I used to think that spaying or neutering is not a humane thing to do to an animal. (Spaying refers to the operation done on female cats, neutering refers to male cats). Anyway, I thought even cats deserve the right to reproduce. But, unlike humans, animals do not have a mind of their own, thus unable to control the number of times they reproduce. There is an enormous number of unwanted cats in the local animal shelters. Let's not even start thinking of the number of stray cats we see on the streets, all prone to being run over by vehicles and vulnerable to all sorts of diseases.

I did a lot of research before I decided to do my first spaying on Garam, the lost cat. Someone told me that it's a sin to neuter/spay your pet. I believed it until I saw an article in the SPCA website, where JAKIM, in July 2002, issued a "fatwa" that said, "All cats and dogs are allowed to be neutered or spayed in order to maintain the health and welfare of both the animals and the community." In this case, the community is urged to choose "the lesser of two evils". Thus I made a doctor's appointment to spay Garam, and today, Cookie and Alf.

For more information on how a female cat is spayed, click here. As for male cats, the procedure is much simpler, they basically just snip the testicles off the cat.

As I write this, Cookie and Alf are both lying in their beds, still unconcious from their recent operation. The doctor said they should wake up in about 2-3 hours. Yay!! Kitty...you're next.