Wednesday, April 21, 2004

moving out

In a couple of weeks I will be moving back to my new-old home. Old being the neighborhood and house i grew up in, New being the recently renovated home i will be moving back into. I have been staying in the "temporary" home for almost 2 years now. (No, we didn't tear down the other house and rebuilt it, the contractor took 2 years to do a 5-month job). But anyway, 2 years. Two years of being an anonymous person in a rather unfriendly neighborhood. Nevertheless, I will miss the anonymity. I will miss the peacefulness of the area, where the cats can run freely without my worrying that they'll get hit by a car. I will miss the short journey to work (20-30 mins, vs 1 hour!). I will miss the occassional sound of the Commuter and ERL. But I will NOT miss the neighbor behind us who stole our papayas, claimed those as theirs, and refused to share some with us. Also the guy next door who hates our cats and will never smile at us when we pass by.

I can't wait to move back to the familiar and friendly place I came from. At the cost of the cats' movements being constrained to a 3ft x 4ft x 5ft cage. Fair enough, I think.