Saturday, December 17, 2005

Al-Fatihah

As the outing with the girls (and boys + baby) was just starting to pick up pace, I received a phone call saying that one of our seniors passed away at 9PM. She had Mixed Connective Tissue Disease and became critical in the past couple of weeks. She was 30. My last communication with her was 5 months ago, it was a thank you email for the "good luck" Spa Treatment she bought me before I had my stem cell transplant. We were both on the same medication that causes hair loss, and there were many hilarious emails exchanged debating the best ways to deal with it (wigs? tudung? au naturel?). Despite her own illness and having lost her father to cancer recently, she always encouraged me to be strong and to face my challenges head on.

My heartfelt condolences to her mother and sisters.

To a very special person who fought till the end. Al-fatihah.