Saturday, December 17, 2005

Three Weddings and a Funeral

Yup. That's what I did today. A sad rainy day at a tahlil arwah improved as the day progressed. A family lost a member, six families gained sons and daughters. A survival of the human race.

Since it's almost the end of the year, it got me to thinking about my own gains and losses. People I've met told me how much weight I have lost. And I thought...yea, among other things. In one unbelievable year, I've lost my health, time, and a person I cared about. I've lost the freedom to do things without worrying if I would have adverse reactions, e.g. playing with my cats, eating salads, drinking unboiled water, etc. But then I started thinking about what I have gained. The knowledge. The realization that my family would do just about anything for me. The learning that good friends will always be around, even if love doesn't last forever. The different way of looking at life. The validation that God is always there to help us out.

I guess life is fair after all, and in the end everything balances out. Personally, I think I have gained more this year than I have lost. And the cycle continues as life goes on.

Here's to a special year, and good things coming.