Tuesday, May 06, 2008

"Nothing" Hill, Primark & The Best Fish and Chips

When I finally gathered enough will power to leave nephew, I set out for my day, first heading to King's Cross St. Pancras to sort my train tickets to Paris tomorrow. Yes, I'm going to Paris. It wasn't at all part of my plan, but my college friends Lisa (from Johannesburg) and Cliff (from NYC) are on vacation there, and of course I will go there and meet them! I haven't seen Cliff in 8 years, and Lisa since 2003 i think, when i went to visit her in South Africa. Well, it was either Paris or a nice pair of shoes from Selfridges, so Paris it is then. I'll just make do with those cheap cheap shoes from Primark or M&S. hehe..

Then I took the tube to Notting Hill Gate to check out the Portobello Market. Nothing much there of course, it's a weekday for god's sake! Just a few stalls selling fruit and souvenirs. Notting Hill is nice though, just like in the movie. I wouldn't mind living there. I bought this fruit, i still don't know what it is. I had some in Italy and they were really really good. It's small like an apricot, but the skin is like mango, and it's orange-ish/yellow-ish in color. It starts with an "N". will take a picture and post it up in case any of you know. I'm a bit lazy to upload pictures these days. hehe. On Portobello Road, I went to find a Sausage & Mash shop that was recommended in the Lonely Planet. Really good stuff, and I only had the vegetarian sausages! Next to it was a Malaysian Restaurant called "Makan," but i didn't stop for a teh tarik. I'll be home in a few days, I'll have my teh tarik then. I miss teh tarik...! hehe

After Notting Hill, I decided to go to Primark on Oxford Street. I see people carrying Primark shopping bags everywhere, and I was quite curious to find out what the place was. It turns out to be a really huge department store selling really cheap clothes!! My snob of a brother says he's never set foot in it. hehe...I went to get some stuff for people back home. I just kept putting things in my basket, and for 50 pounds, I walked out with 4 pairs of pants, 3 tops, 1 shirt, 1 necklace, 2 handbags (ok, most of the items were actually for myself, selfish tak? hehehe). I queued to get my VAT refund, but then I bailed, the queue was too long for just 5 quids, I think i'll come back and do the refunds another day.

Next, I met up with Sam at Covent Garden. He wanted to take me to what most people claim to be the best fish and chips in London. And indeed it was. My favorite is still Manhattan Fish Market's..kekee, but in London, yes, that is the best I've ever had. We later went for coffee around the Leicester Sq. area and watched the world go by. Those cafes remind me of Italy. We stayed until the waitress shoo-ed us off because they were closing, so we parted ways, me to the tube back to Ealing, and Sam back to his apartment to study for his upcoming finals. I'm now chilling on the sofa, sorting out things for my short trip tomorrow.

Methinks me better sleep now. Penat pulak. Nite nite!