Sunday, October 10, 2004

Packing Time

Ok, I've got to pack my computer, since I'm going back to the hospital early tomorrow morning. Before that, let me tell a little story about my disease. I've got Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). I was diagnosed on 9th September, 2004. There are 7 types of AML, but there was a little problem between the doctors and the lab, they weren't able to determine whether I have AML M2 or AML M4.

I felt unwell for about a month before that. It was gradual, but towards the end, it got worse. I had intermittent fever, loss of appetite, short of breath, easy bruising, etc. Friends told me I looked very pale, but I thought it was just normal stress. One day I went to the doctor to get some cough medicine, the doctor realized I looked very pale, and asked me to do a blood test. The blood test results showed that there were blasts in my blood, and suspected me to have acute leukemia. That day was 3rd of September, 2004.

Anyway, I was admitted to the hospital the same day due to my low hemoglobin count (3.6). I had 4 pints of blood transfused in me. I remembered being really tired, I wasn't able to talk properly. I got my first ever ride on a wheelchair that day, and it was quite a fun experience. Although given the choice, I would rather be well than unwell.

A few days later, I went for a bone marrow aspiration. My God it was a painful experience!! I felt like I fell on ice for three days! I felt cheated...when I asked the doctors, they all said that it would be a short procedure, just like tooth extraction. Anyway the results came out positive (nothing positive about that from where I stand!), and the doctor said I should start chemotherapy right away. However, the doctor suggested that I go to another hospital to get a catheter called a Hickman's Line put on my chest. The line would be used for chemotherapy, to transfuse and withdraw blood. It would be more comfortable for me since the nurses won't have to constantly poke my hands with needles.

My first course of chemotherapy went well. I was given 3 days of daunorubicin and 7 days of cytorabine (Ara-C). Only the first day I vomited. After that, the doctor prescribed me with Kytril to control the nausea and vomiting. Other than that, I ate well, no diarrhea, no mouth sores. The only thing that bothered me was the steroids. It made me look puffy! During this time I also took Lingzhi pills (thanks to my aunt) and Brands Essence of Chicken for my blood.

The first week after chemo passed by in a whizz. I watched movies, read books, etc. Basically the most boring week in the hospital, since I felt well, but was not advised to have many visitors. My blood counts started to fluctuate during this week.

The second week was quite difficult. I had fever three days in a row...and felt quite bad. The doctor decided to prescribe me with some anti-fungal medicine. Apparently patients who stay in the hospital for too long tend to catch hospital fungus (euww!!). My white blood count fell to its lowest - 0.9! However, it gradually went back up after that, and the doctor discharged me at WBC of 1.4. (Healthy range for white blood cells is 4.0 - 11.0) I was excited, but also quite worried since I have cats at home, and God knows what other bacterias and viruses I could catch at home. Anyway, I risked it since I couldn't wait to get in touch with the outside world (a.k.a the TV!).

I also started shedding hair during this second week! It was horrifying to see my long hair all over the floor! I decided to wash my hair one day, and it just got tangled together, making it worse! I got my brother to come later that evening to cut my hair shorter, and I felt much better! ADVICE to people who will go for chemo - just cut your hair short before you start treatment. It would be easier on you. I also read that if you take 1600 IUs of Vitamin E everyday for a week before starting chemo, u could minimize hair loss (way too late for me!!) I'm thinking of writing a letter to Erra Fazira to see if she could donate me one of her many wigs. Whaddaya think? I thought of writing to Siti Nurhaliza as well, but her wigs are usually long ones, so it probably won't suit me. heheh.

The week went by very fast, and I have to get myself re-admitted tomorrow. Me and my siblings will do the HLA Typing tomorrow, to determine if one of them is a suitable bone marrow donor for me. Then either tomorrow or Tuesday, I will have to do another bone marrow aspiration, to see my progress from the first course of chemotherapy. I hope the results will be favourable...(pleaasseee God!!!)

If nothing else, this experience has brought me closer to my parents, whom I love very much, and I know are very worried about me. My friends and colleagues, who check on me from time to time, and feed me with gossip, they keep me going. And the lovely Z, who gives me his endless support, and endless supply of DVDs.

But, this is just the beginning of the battle. I know I have a long way to go (hopefully not too long!) before I can live a normal life again. I pray to God to make me better, or at least make this battle not too difficult for me.

Will update, as and when. Ciao tutti!