Monday, March 27, 2006

Jalan Ampang Beggar

As I was waiting for the traffic light at the intersection of Jalan Ampang and Sultan Ismail today, a panicky looking dude tapped on my car window. I rolled down the window about 10cm wide, thinking he wanted to ask for directions. Instead...he asked me for money. RM50.

Mr : Miss, my car broke down in front, and i forgot my wallet. Can you spare me RM50?
Me : What for?
Mr : So I can take a taxi.
Me : Sorry Encik, I don't have RM50. (where on earth is he going with RM50 cab fare? Genting?)
Mr : How about RM20? I'll push the money back to you, I promise.
Me : Sorry Encik, RM20 pun I tak ada.
Mr : How much have you got? Any amount will do.
Me : Huh? I said I don't have any money, I'm sorry. (I have RM350 in my wallet, but I sure ain't giving it to you after that question, buddy.)
Mr : (looking very disappointed) Oh...ok thanks.

I drove off feeling bad about myself. What if the dude really needed the money? I could've at least given him RM2 for a bus ride. I drove along Sultan Ismail, keeping an eye for a stalled car, but the road came to an end and I didn't see any.

Told my friends about what happened, and one said that he's already been harassed like that twice. His description of the man was quite similar to mine. Jeez!

Thank God the traffic wasn't too bad, and I only felt bad for about 20 minutes. Thank God I didn't give the man a single cent. Thank God that friend was around to lift my guilt off.

The man asking for money is malay, mid-40s, skinny, greying hair, weird teeth. He's got a slight east coast accent to his English. Man, what is this city coming to?