Friday, April 18, 2008

The City of Lurve

I'm now at Verona Porta Nuova train station, waiting for my 6.15 pm train to Bologna. I decided to go on the fast train, so I will arrive in Bologna at about 7.30pm.

Verona Verona, what about it? It's where Romeo and Juliet was set in. Once I got to the city center, all the major sights were accessible by foot. From the train station, I took a bus to Piazza Brà. The Lonely Planet book said to take buses 11, 12, 13 or 14. What it didn't tell me was that the buses at the bus station go both way. So hopped on the first bus I saw, and it took me all the way to the other side of town. Hihihi...! I finally asked the driver..he said, "Piazza Brà?? Ooo...non ci vediamo. Uscita blabla bla" and he pointed me to the bus on the other side of the road. That part of Verona I was in look rather industrial and modern than historical, a bit like the area of Wangsa Maju.

Anyway, I finally found Piazza Brà. I dunno whether I wasn't really in the mood (i couldn't find my prescripted sunglasses anywhere in my bags), but that Piazza wasn't that amazing. I decided to check out the Arena, a 1st century Roman Amphitheater. Nothing much either. Just an a huge amphitheater made of stone. And also excessively rowdy teenagers. OK la..maybe if the weather was a bit nicer it would be much better, but the weather was also rather uninspiring today. And where the heck are my sunglasses????? Hehe.

I just wandered around, had a yummy gelati (gelati count: 4) and found myself on another square, Piazza delle Erbe. Decided to stop for lunch. The spaghetti in pomodoro sauce was quite delicious, although I think I could've made it myself. There was a market there, but mainly selling souvenirs. There was a tower nearby, Torre degli Lamberti, which I went up. Wah....the view from the top was simply amazing! I could see the whole of Verona, just like in the postcards on the streets. Next to the tower was a square which contained an underground roman street..impressivo!

The book said another must see is the duomo. It's under restoration, so nothing impressive either. Nearby, I found the Pietra Bridge, which was kind of cool. People just hang out there and chat, enjoying their day. The final must see was La Casa di Giuletta (Juliet's House). I saw the famous balcony, took some shots and left. Too many people crowded in a little lawn. And i'm not one who's a fan of crowds.

Stopped at this little bakery on the way back to Piazza Brà, and had this little chocolate torte which was supremely delicious!! I wish I could stop to take a picture of it, but I couldn't find an empty bench, and I was also afraid that a pigeon would snatch it. So I had to gobble it up la...hehehee..

Then I took the bus back to the station, and here I am, typing this up while having an espresso. All in all, Verona is a nice place, but I probably wouldn't want to live here.

Now where the heck are my sunglasses?!!! I hope I didn't drop in on the train from Venice to here. :-(

Arrivederci.