Friday, May 01, 2009

Jetlagged in Athens

Left the house around 12 noon.  Took the easyBus from Fulham Broadway to Gatwick for about 7 pounds, got my lotion confiscated at security because i was so kalut that i forgot i had the lotion in my handbag.  Had a sandwich, and set out to look for another small bottle of lotion inside the airport.  Didn't realize that the gate was quite a bit of a walk....!! i saw the departure monitors flashing "Flight Closing" for my flight, and walked as fast as i could to the gate.  A couple of walkalators and a few escalators away, i arrived at gate 107, only to find that they haven't even boarded any passengers yet..chis...!  Anyway the flight was smooth, except that i didn't realize when i decided to come to Athens, that the flight was going to be 3.5 hours long!

Arrival was smooth as well, and i took the X95 bus as instructed by the hostel to Syntagma Square, and the metro to the Acropolis.  I booked this small apartment called Athens Studios where i have to share with 5 other people, and boy do they pack us up in here! It's quite nice though, except that I thought there was free wifi, but in fact there's free ADSL, but you need a LAN cable.  And all my fellow travellers here are just like me, with our little netbooks and all, waiting our turn to use the LAN cable.  Anyway, they're all asleep now, and I'm still wide awake since it's only 11pm in London.

Speaking of which, the last two days in London passed by so quickly, that by the time i had to leave London, i was regretting the decision to take this little break to Athens.  I did go for Taza on tuesday, yummy yummy!!

IMG_0518
Taza chicken shawarma, Queensway

After the kebab, i went to Whiteley's on a mission to find a nice backpack to put my camera gear + notebook in, since i've realized carrying the sling bag around is such a pain in the shoulder!! Found a good one for a reasonable price, and i started walking on Bayswater Road, down Notting Hill, down Holland Park Road, and the next thing i realized was that i was in front of that new gigantic shopping mall Westfield!!  The thing i would never do back home: wander aimlessly for 4 kilometers, on foot. heheh. well to be fair, i knew i was heading west back to Ealing, so at least i had a goal in mind. hahaha...

Yesterday i took my nephew for a walk, he pushed his little trolley speaking gibberish while i pretended to understand what he was saying.  Then i took off for some oxygen treatment at Kew Garden, and damn that place is lovely...! 13 pounds to get in though, a bit steep i must say. (jangan convert....)  If only i was a bit more interested in plants...hahaha

DSC_5250
Kew Palace

I got attacked by two ducks while i sat on the grass to have my sandwich.  I wasn't sure if the duck would eat a chicken sandwich, so i threw some bread for them.  Those ducks scared the hell out of me!

DSC_5205
Quack Attack, Kew Garden

I also saw a giant petai at one of the exhibitions.  Told the botanists that we have a similar plant back home, and one could eat it.  She said this one came from South America, and they usually make jewelry out of the beans.  Check out the picture!

DSC_5243
Giant Petai, Kew Garden

Headed back to Ealing at the end of the day, had some yucky fish & chips near the train station.  I had that about 3 years ago, i know the fish is no good at all, but i still went anyway.  I don't know why i always do that to myself. heheheh.

It's 1.30 AM in Athens right now, and i'm not sleepy at all.  I'm contemplating sleeping on the couch, since the thought of having to climb up the bunk bed is not tempting at all.

I miss my couch in London.