Monday, May 16, 2005

the chronicles of september 2004 - part III

part I, part II

Monday came and the consultant said that she wasn't able to schedule a bone marrow aspiration over the weekend. Didn't the blood test say 'urgent'?? Well, anyway, it was scheduled for Tuesday, so I waited another day at the hospital. At that point I was feeling much better, and believed that nothing was wrong with me.

I had my very first bone marrow aspiration that Tuesday morning. It wasn't very pleasant. In fact, it wasn't very pleasant that I cried. I was already given 7.5mg of domicum to sedate me and they wouldn't (couldn't) give me anymore. I felt the needle going through my bone (yikes!) and a couple of seconds later, heard the medical officer say "i couldn't get her bone marrow, we'll have to try again." At that point I started crying. The MO told the nurse to get the consultant. The consultant came a few minutes later, told me to be brave, and took my bone marrow sample. With ease. I learned my lesson that day. After that, everytime I need to have a bone marrow aspiration, I will specifically ask for the consultants to do it. It's called pain management, and it works. :-)

Wednesday, 9th September - I anxiously waited for the doctor to see me. Around 10am, she came to my bed, and said to me, "I'm afraid it's not good news, your bone marrow test shows that you have acute myeloid leukemia."

(gulp) "OK."

"Is there anything you'd like to ask?"

"Yeah, uhm, how bad is it? Is there like a stage?"

"No, there are no stages for AML, there are types, and you've been diagnosed with AML type M2."

(Is that a good thing or bad?) "Right. Uhm, so what happens now?"

"I'd like to start you on chemo right away, but you'll have to come in for counselling first tomorrow. I'll see you at 2pm tomorrow, ok?"

"Sounds good. Err...would it be possible for me to go home today?"

"Yes, sure. Come and see me at the clinic tomorrow then."

"Thanks."
And so it starts. Chemotherapy (which wasn't too bad), the countless blood and platelet transfusions, the fevers, infections. The attempts to looking strong and being strong. The learning experience - how the health system works, how blood is produced, how the IV drip works, and countless more.

I remember a phone conversation I had with Z that day. He kept asking me if i was ok. I told him, "bee, if you and everybody else would just stop asking me that, I will be."

and I always am OK, if not perfectly so.