Wednesday, December 08, 2004

il giorno 15

Listening to: Kaer - Epilog Cinta Dari Bromley, Craig David - Spanish, Anuar Zain - Mungkin

Woke up at 2PM today. Realized that my mum wasn't here yet and wondered why nobody called me. Checked my phone and found out the battery died while I was sleeping. Cursed myself for not taking an extension cord with me when I checked in. Charged my phone, received an sms from mum asking me to save the rice. Fuhh...mum's coming to bring me food after all. I didn't eat this morning, they served porridge which i'm not so into.

Yesterday was a trying day. Trying my patience that is. My Hb level dropped to 7.9, so the doc ordered 2 pints of blood for me. I had to buy this RM70 blood transfusion filter, which was a pain in the ass (the filter, not the fact that I had to buy it). A pint of blood is supposed to get transfused within 4 hours. But mine took almost 9 hours!!! Stupid filter!! Started the first pint at 6AM yesterday, and finished the 2nd pint at 4AM this morning. The filter kept getting jammed every half an hour. So all day yesterday I had to watch the drip set, in case it stopped flowing. You know the expression "like watching paint dry"? In my case, it was more like watching blood drip.

Doc came in for his rounds, asked me the regular question - if i had a fever. As long as i don't have a fever, he's not too worried. He said it'll be about 2 more weeks before I will fully recover. I sometimes don't get this doc..a week ago, he also said I have 2 weeks to go. Is this guy for real?

Anyway, every now and then some people ask me, what's next? Well, usually after getting FLAG-IDA treatment, most patients go for bone marrow transplant. Which is what the doctor has in plan for me. I try not to worry too much about what happens after this, but three scenarios could arise (ones I could think of):

1. I go into remission and I have a bone marrow donor
2. I go into remission but I have no bone marrow donor
3. I don't go into remission

Obviously the first scenario would be the best case. In the second scenario, I think I could use my own stem cells in place of the donor (of the lack of it). As far as the third scenario, I haven't had the guts to ask the doc what will happen. I remember the doctor saying that 70% of patients respond to conventional chemo, 15% will respond to FLAG-IDA, and the other 15% will never respond to any sort of chemo they get. I'd rather not worry about it now. I read a saying somewhere "worrying about tomorrow takes the goodness out of today". So i'll just take it one thing at a time, and for now, my focus is to recover from chemo. And pray hard that the blast cells will go away. :-)

Aiight fellas, off to playing Starcraft. (After a short-lived ambition to start working on my MBA thesis. Ha ha)

arrivederci.