Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Credit Card Fraud

About 10 days before I was scheduled to be admitted into the hospital, I received my new HSBC cards in the mail. I only ever used the card twice, when I found that I could receive an instant 10% discount at Starbucks.

Last week while I was mending my mouthsore, a received a call from an HSBC representative asking whether I purchased any items over the Internet a few days before that. I said no, and asked what the website was. The representative said, Hinky Import, LLC. Damn! It sounds like Kinky Import! After asking me a few more questions to make sure it wasn't my family members using the card, we finally came to an agreement that somebody had stolen my credit card info and used it to purchase the items.

Upon hanging up the phone, I immediately logged on to the net and Googled Hinky Import, LLC. I hope it's nothing embarassing like crotchless panties, edible bras or anything of that sort! I found this. Not at all kinky, but definitely, definitely weird. Why would I want to purchase singing bowls, propaganda posters, Tibetan jewelry, opium pipes, etc as it claims in the page title? No wonder the HSBC people immediately identified it as a fraud. Thank God for customer profiling.