Tuesday, October 11, 2005

ahhhhhh how liberating

I feel good today. My bone marrow aspiration went without a hitch, despite the sedation only kicking in after the procedure was done. Thankfully I insisted that the nurse call the consultant to do it, and the doc was a real pro. Now I just wait for the results, and hope for the best. So that one problem down, and a couple more to go.

Secondly, after months of "ding-dong"-ing over the phone, wasting a lot of energy on rage and anger, I finally decided to a confrontation. Went over to HSBC to settle the dispute, pay all my balance and cancel my cards. Man, it was like ending a really bad relationship. I was in a bit of a dilemma over whether I should cancel the card initially. They have discounts in almost all the shops that I love. Then yesterday, they called me with another problem. They said my cheque was returned, so my payment could not be made. I asked, "How come?" and the officer told me that the amount was probably not enough, or that there was some other error. OK. That was it - enough was enough for me, no matter how good the rewards program is.

So I told the customer service guy that I wasn't happy with their services and wanted to cancel my cards. The cancellation went without a fight. My brother was probably right, under my name there's probably a warning that said "Beware: Bitchy Customer." Ha ha. The officer even wrote the cancellation letter for me, explaining that I am paying all my balance, minus the disputed amount and the finance and late charges. I think I should've felt insulted, because he didn't even try to pursuade me to stay with the bank. Instead I felt free. Liberated. I know I won't have to bother with this bank again for the rest of my life. Plus, I can always use my other cards. Their rewards programs are not as exciting, but they never give me trouble and they serve their purpose. And that's another problem down, still a couple more to go. :-)

Thanks to The Kimster, who said to me yesterday, "don't settle." (Yes kimmy, i know we were talking about something else entirely, but the concept is the same, innit?)