Friday, October 28, 2005

meeting new people, making new friends

I was never very good at meeting new people. It feels safer to just hide behind familiar walls; the family, friends and colleagues that I regularly talk to. Recently I have lost a big portion of the familiarity that I have amassed over the past few years, and I learned that I will need to make some adjustments. I don't even know if I feel happy or sad. Most of the time, I just feel highly disoriented, like a lost soul trying to find its way home. Ok fine...not really like a lost soul la, maybe more like me trying to get to Mutiara Damansara but somehow finding myself in the middle of nowhere in Kota Damansara. Hehehe.

So, I decided to meet new people.

In over a year, I haven't really made new friends, other than my doctors, nurses and fellow patients. I never realized how nervous I was until I decided to join a couple of friends who were seeing their friends tonight. Almost turned my car around because I wasn't sure if I was up to it. Do I dare? I kept asking myself. Don't even know what I'm scared of, actually. :-) All I know is that these days, I get nervous easily when I have too much company, especially when I can't bring myself to concentrate on the conversation.

And of course, the new people I met were very nice. I'm glad I decided to brave it tonight. Come January when I start work, there will be a lot more people to meet, so it's better that I start getting comfortable with that right now.

Here's to making new friends, and keeping the old ones.

Cheers.