Wednesday, June 29, 2005

lung function test part III

Finally. The lung function test took 3 minutes. I was prepared to be there for the whole morning. I saw some patients blowing into what looked like a bong, with smoke and all (which turned out to be vapor, not smoke). After entering my details into some sort of handheld machine, the medical assistant asked me to take a deep breath, and blow hard into the tube, several times. He told me to do it properly, and I tried my best to copy his instructions. He asked me, "Do you have asthma?" No, I said. The machine interpreted my test as "Restrictive disorder". Uh-oh. Went by the clinic to pick up an ultrasound reference letter, so asked the doctor about my lung function test results. He merely concluded that it was a bad effort on my side. He said he doesn't think that I did the test correctly. Anyway, he just told me to exercise a bit more these few days and not to worry about it. He also told me that he won't be around next week, and said that I'll be fine without him around. Yeah, ok doc.

My mother is most concerned about this. I have decided to just go for the transplant, and deal with it...despite worrying about infections and so forth. My mother having second thoughts is making me having third (or fourth) thoughts. Should I follow my heart? Which means I'm going against my mother's instincts. I have thought about the transplant, when i was having second thoughts, and decided to do it because if I don't, I will forever be worried if my leukemia will come back. Now, if i do the transplant, when I'm done with it, at least I'll have a peace of mind. I am aware that going through transplant is not easy, and that there is a small risk that the disease will come back, but at least I would have minimized the risk. I just want closure, so I can close this book and get on with my life. So, I'm off to the ward on Sunday. I start my radiation therapy on Tuesday, and the transplant will be on the 11th. I will try to keep this site updated, if i don't get too tired from the radiation, :-).

In the mean time, I will relax. In fact, I'm going to go for a spa treatment this afternoon (courtesy of Ida J) to help me relax.

I hope your prayers are with me, and wish me luck. Thanks!

I'll write you from the other side. Of freedom i mean, not the other side of life. Hehe.