Thursday, August 25, 2005

Black Pepper Dispute

It's 5:00 AM and I'm up. Seems like normal practice these days, sleep at 1, then wake up at 4+, sleep again around 5+ and wake up again around 7 AM to resume my daily activities.

Anyway, since i'm up, I thought I'd do some research on the usage of black pepper in cooking, for a neutropenic patient like me. (Although I still don't understand how I am still neutropenic when my total white count is 9.3 with 85% neutrophils.) My mum and I seem to be having a dispute about my using black pepper in my food. I put black pepper all the time in my cooking (like Jamie Oliver does, hehe) and she doesn't think that that is allowed for an immunosuppressed patient like me.

So I scoured the net, and found this article on UNC Healthcare, a 109 page pdf document, which I found very useful. It contains all the information a bone marrow or stem cell transplant patient would need to know before, during and after a transplant, including exercise suggestions!. The best part is, it has a FAQ for easy reference! Here are my some of my favorite FAQs:

  1. Can I use black pepper?
    Black pepper can be used if it is added to the food while it cooks. You can not sprinkle black pepper on your food after it has been prepared because there are certain kinds of molds in pepper that can cause infection.


  2. Do I have to get rid of my cat and dog?
    You do not have to get rid of your cat and dog. However, your caretaker should take care of your pets. Avoid close facial contact with your pets but you may pet them in moderation. Please make sure your pet is bathed regularly and doesn't have fleas. Do not handle the cat litter box and keep it in a room which you are not using (for example the basement, garage or an extra bathroom or closet). Do not clean bird cages or fish aquariums. Notify your doctor if you have a bird in your home.


  3. When can I drive?
    Driving can be resumed when you have fully recovered from your transplant. However, it may be dangerous to you and others if you are not fully recovered and still taking medications that make you sleepy or weak.


  4. When can I go out to eat?
    You may go out to dinner during a non-crowded time and eat cooked foods. Take-out is also allowed if it is fully cooked. Avoid all potlucks, salad bars and buffets.


  5. How long do I have to wear the green mask?
    You must wear the mask each time you come to the clinic! You do not need to wear the mask in the car or at home. The mask must be worn for outdoor outings or to anyplace with crowds until your provider tells you a mask is no longer required. Allogeneic patients must wear the green mask at least until day 100 and off all immunosuppressive drugs.

I don't seem to have violated any of the FAQs so far. My black pepper is always used while cooking, not after. Must print this 109 page guide out, and highlight stuff for my mum to see. I've been buggered with this "black pepper" issue for a long time, and getting tired of being told of what I can and cannot eat, despite already printing many copies of the Neutropenic Diet table for easy reference around the house.

I don't see what's so difficult about following the Neutropenic Diet. Just follow the "What Food is Allowed" column, avoid the "What Food is NOT Allowed" column, and I believe I should be safe. Of course the Neutropenic Diet does not explain what is nutritious, but my aim is to eat both nutritiously, and deliciously. So what's the problem with trying to make nutritious food delicious? For example, why shouldn't I be using cheese when the Neutropenic diet says its OK? Cheese got calcium what? It's not that I use the whole block of cheese in one go! Sure it's got some sodium, but a little sodium won't hurt, I believe. Huh...penat betul lah.

Ok, enough research. Going back to sleep now. Have a doctor's appointment later this morning..bargh..another long wait at the clinic I expect.